Thursday 17 October 2013

This past couple of weeks I have finally managed to start exploring the metal music scene here in Málaga, which is surprisingly difficult to find. My first taste of it was visiting a place called Bar Lemmy, which as the name suggests is a Motörhead fan’s dream. This is a pretty cool bar, with really great music and a great atmosphere. It’s just a bit of a shame that both times I have visited it there haven’t been that many people there.


My second encounter with the metal scene in Malaga was at a place called Sala Trinchera, which is a bit out of the way as it’s pretty much on the way to the airport, south of Teatinos. But it was worth the long walk, as this was a small music festival dedicated to bringing 4 relatively local metal bands to Málaga for a night of (extremely loud) heavy metal. The highlight for me was a band called Witchtower, which had a great NWOBHM sound and had great stage presence as well. However, seeing all of these bands playing in a fairly big venue like this made me wish I had a band here in Málaga, as playing guitar in my band back home is one thing that I miss a lot about the UK.



During these last two weeks I have also sorted out all of my maths classes. I am now exclusively studying second year modules, which is a lot more manageable than before. I am also enjoying the classes more, as I’m getting used to the Spanish university system and gradually making more friends in the classes.




Other highlights include a tandem language exchange night, where I met a group of Spanish students and practised speaking and translating between Spanish and English. One of the tasks we were given was to make a story using certain Spanish words, which turned into my new Spanish friends telling me a story in English, and I would have to translate it into Spanish, which was great practise for all of us.

A few photos of the Botanical garden on campus (the weather is still really good here!)





I should hopefully be back into the regular blogging routine next week, so until then, adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment